As much as we try to avoid it, data breaches can happen to anyone at any time, posing a serious risk to our businesses. Information such as customer data, finance records and other important classified info could potentially end up getting lost. The good news is that a data breach can be properly dealt with if you are prepared with the right steps beforehand, such as hiring an effective payment processing company or implementing a fast acting response team. Our team here at Payeex would like to go into detail about how you can properly approach a threat such as this in order to extinguish the issue sooner than later.
Form A Good Connection With Your IT Team
This is one of, if not the most important pieces of advice, as your IT team plays a huge factor in keeping your business secure and safe. Most people assume that IT teams are only there to keep your websites online, but that is not the case. They are also responsible for looking over certain data connections and preventing any hostile parties from going online.
When you grow a better relationship with your IT team, your business has much more control over the possible risks and threats that data breaches pose. A few ways to strengthen your businesses security through an IT team include:
- Coming up with a framework for how you’re going to use security setups. This will include things such as software and hardware-based antivirus/firewall programs.
- Hiring a fractional privacy officer. This person will look over your IT efforts and ensure whether or not your attempts to keep your business safe are effective or not.
- Creating a data mapping platform. This gives you much more control over where your data is going and where it’s being put.
- Strengthening general communication with your IT team for higher efficacy. When you talk with your team about how you’re handling your customers’ data, you will both have a better idea on how to deal with possible threats down the road.
At the end of the day, you want to be certain that all of your data has a place to go when something like this occurs, and that it stays as safe as possible when your company is busy at work trying to remove the breach itself.
Put Together A Response Team
Preventing a data breach sounds easier on paper, but when it all comes down to it, breaches can happen to anyone regardless of their prevention efforts. This is why on top of having effective prevention efforts, you should have a highly efficient response team to deal with the issue if it ever takes place. Here’s how to build the ideal response team:
- A leader should be chosen to look over all efforts.
- One person should deal with customer care. This person will get in touch with the public and let them know any important info about the breach.
- A few people should be responsible for reviewing data. These people will look over any compromised data and find any hacking issues or threats present.
Be Prepared For Possible Failure
Even with all of the information we have stated above, some data breaches are just too sneaky and complicated to figure out as quickly as one would want. Every preparation effort or response team is vulnerable to failure in handling a serious risk such as this, regardless of how much work is put into it. This is why it is important to be ready for possible failure, and not get too disappointed if things don’t go your way.
Even if things don’t go the way you want, implementing the steps we have mentioned above are extremely important in preventing a serious data problem from happening. When you are working hard on both preparing and responding to a threat such as this, you will be able to deal with the issue much quicker than normal and keep your business successful for years to come.
How We Can Help
In addition to the information we’ve provided, it is also important that you work with a payment processing company that cares about security and safety. Here at Payeex, we make sure that ideals such as this are at the forefront of any business relationship. Our services and payment products are known for providing the best in data security, so you can work knowing your information is safe. To find out more about our merchant account services, be sure to call us at +1 (833) 666-100 today!